From:
"Aucoin, William B." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aucoin, William B.
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2010 15:37:12 -0500
Just a recommendation, but I would be careful about adding additional
rubber bands or different parts to this mission model. This mission
model is specifically designed to react in two different ways:

*         If you push too fast (high force), the model will "lockup" and
not raise the weight (and you will not score the points).

*         If you push slowly enough (low force), the model will raise
the weight (and you will get the points).

This is why this mission is one of the few that tells you how you must
interact with the mission model:

ROBOTIC SENSITIVITY

It takes a lot of sophistication and therapy for an artificial hand and
its user to find the correct angles for the many

pivots and extensions of movement, but what about the forces? It takes a
lot less force to grip a sandwich than a

rock... What about handling eggs - or kittens? How is the correct force
found?

MISSION - Get the weight to the up position by pushing the blue panel
only.

WEIGHT ALL THE WAY UP = 25 Points

Reference:
http://firstlegoleague.org/uploadedFiles/Challenge_Specific/Body_Forward
/Body%20Forward%20-%20Missions.pdf

Model Setup
(http://firstlegoleague.org/uploadedFiles/Challenge_Specific/Body_Forwar
d/Body%20Forward%20-%20Field%20Setup.pdf)

"Be sure the rubber belt runs only in the groove of the gray half-bush
(tiny pulley). The belt must not be allowed to rub on the blue beams nor
the tan cross-axle. The more friction there is in this model, the easier
the mission seems - so be sure you're practicing with a properly
maintained model, because they're likely to be correct at tournaments."
See the picture in the link above to see the correct routing of the
elastic band.

Bill