Sender: First Lego League in Virginia and DC <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 23:21:26 -0400
From: VA-DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>
  I think that there is a chance again this year of having FLL release a
scoring tool, but I don't know what the timeframe would be.  That's based
on the recent development of new tournament scoring software.

  When a team comes to me and thinks that their scoresheet was scored
incorrectly because a scoring app tells them something different, here's
what I do.
  I grab a pen or pencil, the scoresheet, and the mission descriptions, and
I go through the scoresheet questions, writing the mission scores down
along the way.  Then I add them up.

  Teams that validate their scoring apps by hand from time to time based on
the missions that they are doing, can feel confident that what they have is
good enough for development purposes.

Steve Scherr
Virginia-DC FLL Referee Advisor

P.S.  There's a bonus to scoring by hand occasionally--it gives teams a
chance to re-read the wording of the missions, just in case they forgot