Sender:
From:
Brittany Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 16:12:57 -0400
Hi Purnima,

What you are experiencing is, I think, fairly common and is hopefully somewhat alleviated by the fact that VA/DC FLL has recently begun to offer regional tournaments over three weekends instead of two (though - for my team - participation in a regional tournament means that my own child and at least one other team member will be missing their last soccer game of the season...there's just no way to find a weekend that is going to be ideal for everyone).  The amount of planning, coordination, and work required from the excellent volunteers who organize the tournaments is immense and has been in high gear for several months, so it isn't at all feasible to change the dates at this point.

Unfortunately, it also isn't likely to be feasible in future years to push the regional dates back any further because the Championship Tournament is always held early in December.  There needs to be enough time between the regional tournaments and the championship tournament to allow field set up kits and other materials to be transferred from across the state to Harrisonburg, the planning for organizers requires several weeks of lead time after the regionals finish up, and the qualifying teams need time to arrange for attendance.  The timing of the championship tournament isn't likely to change either - JMU's availability to host is strongly tied to their school schedule.  VA/DC FLL holds one of the single largest FLL tournaments held anywhere in the world and JMU and our excellent FLL volunteers put on an incredible experience for the kids.  I'd recommend to all of my fellow coaches that you consider volunteering at the championship tournament if your team doesn't advance - it is a very fulfilling experience that will help make any future coaching endeavors richer.  Plus, it is just a good time!

Cheers,
Brittany