From:
Sonya Shaver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sonya Shaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 2009 22:59:22 -0400
Hi Linda,I am only a second-year coach, but I'll try to answer your
questions:

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Linda Bangert <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm a very new coach, who just set up the table this afternoon, and I have
> some questions.
>
> Crash Test Ramp - If I set the "hinged fence-like structure vertical", it
> prevents the feet on that end from touching the mat.  Is is supposed to be
> like that, or did we put something together wrong?

Not exactly sure what you mean here.  The ramp looks kind of like a slanted
table, with the lower ends being more towards the inside of the table.  All
four feet are flat on the table, affixed with dual lock.  Maybe look at the
mission videos for that mission and you'll see up close what that is
supposed to look like.

> Access Markers - I don't understand the instruction, "Be sure to place
> their oval feature over their mark on the mat."  If the cup that the ball
> sets on is the "front" the two pictured in the set up directions have the
> "front" facing out onto the mat.  Do the other two face the border wall?

Yes, they are directional, so look on the bottom and match them up.  The two
that are along the north border wall have the black rod closest to the wall.
 And the two that are near the target spot have the ball and cup on the
north border wall side.

> Guide Walls - These seem to be a bit long for the space marked on the mat.
>  This is an issue for the warning beacon or loop that is just at the end of
> a guide wall.  Which is more important - to get the short side of the guide
> wall on it's place on the mat, or to have the warning beacon or loop in its
> exact spot?

Yes, it is a little long.  Follow the directions on # 2 on the Game Q&A:

http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/fll/gameqa1.aspx#2 - YELLOW GUIDE
WALL PLACEMENT

This is something you will want to check in on often (and have your team
check it too) so you will stay up to date with any clarifications.

> Loops - the ones which don't have a specific place marked - the directions
> say, "Stand the other gray loop centered on the southwest axle of the
> south guide wall.  Stand the red loop centered on the east-most axle of the
> south guide wall."  Are the axles the vertical black rods sticking up from
> the guide wall?  I'm sure it's vague on purpose to have variability, but the
> picture, taken at an oblique angle, isn't much help.  If the red loop is
> supposed to be at the end of the squished arrows on the mat, as the picture
> seems to indicate, it is not lined up with any vertical rod.

Yes, they go on top of those black rods sticking up.

Hope that was helpful.  Good luck!

Sonya Shaver
Nanobots in Harrisonburg