From:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2014 18:02:18 -0400
A tough question. When I coached, we generally met once a week for a few hours in the evening, then more often as the Regionals approached, and then again once or twice a week until State (the Girls made State all four years). However, we were explicitly NOT trying to be a killer team: our goal was to learn and have fun, and so we weren’t going to drive them until they stopped enjoying it. I was fortunate to be co-coaching a team of mostly GT girls, mind you, which I suspect has a different dynamic than many teams—more self-directed.

Some teams take it MUCH more seriously, meeting multiple times per week, with strongly assigned roles and deadlines and all of that. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but obviously could become one.

So…”It depends”. Not a big help, I realize!

--

Phil Smith III

Coach, The Capital Girls (retired)

Team 1900 (2002)