From:
Jeff Beima <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Beima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2017 00:34:25 -0400
Lisa and Cedric,

I applaud you and your kids for reading the Challenge documents and trying
to do the right thing.  The Field Setup Guide does tell you to "Install a
Rain and the Dirty Water into the Slingshot..."  But, the catch is that the
Challenge Guide does not state that condition is required for scoring.  You
have stumbled upon one of the great tenants of FLL: "If A Detail Isn’t
Mentioned,
Then It Doesn’t Matter."

Since the scoring condition is underlined, not with an asterisk, the
condition (Slingshot is completely in its target) needs only to exist at
the end of the match to score the 20 points.  Since there is no method
required, it doesn't matter how the Slingshot gets to the target.  It also
does not state where the Dirty Water or Rain need to be.  So, they may or
may not be with, or in, the Slingshot for the Slingshot to score.

Similarly, for the bonus, the condition (Dirty Water, a Rain, and the
Slingshot are completely in the target) needs only to exist at the end of
the match to score the 15 bonus points.  Again, since there is no method
required, it doesn't matter how the Dirty Water, Rain, or Slingshot, get
into the Slingshot target.  Note that it highlights "WITH" so it does not
matter whether or not they are, or ever were, in the Slingshot -- only that
all three components are in the Slingshot target.

Regarding the pictures, the first pictures under each condition could be
identical and still be correct.  A Slingshot with Dirty Water and a Rain in
the Slingshot target would score 20 points.  A Slingshot with Dirty Water
and a Rain in the Slingshot target would also score the 15 additional bonus
points.

Jeff Beima
Mentor