From:
Debbie Brumback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Brumback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 2008 11:39:51 -0500
Regarding the focus on robot scores....

As a parent that just stopped by the regional event for a couple of hours,
the only measure of how things are going at the competition is the posted
score board and the public robot runs.

Our regional competition has video monitors aimed at all four robot fields
that are on display all day long, during the actual runs. In the hallway,
the Division 1 and Division 2 robot scores are displayed in running order of
high to low scores.

Is it possible to have video monitors also recording project presentations,
robot design judging, and (the previous year's) team building challenges?
Displaying these events on monitors beside the robot scores, would pull
people away from robot scores and offer an opportunity to share the other
75% of the FLL experience.

If that's not feasible, another possibility would be to ask teams to bring
in a home video of their project presentation and a short robot presentation
that could be put on display during the competition.

I appreciate all the volunteers that give time to FLL, regardless of whether
the Henrico Public Schools find this time worthy of official community
service hours or not.  When I'm no longer hosting lego meetings and living
with a FLL obsessed team member and a coach, I plan to give some time back
to FLL myself.

Debbie Brumback