Sender: First Lego League in Virginia and DC <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 11:26:11 -0400
From: VA-DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>
These are good questions, because the rules can change each year.

We've asked all the tournament directors to try to provide a small table or
chair next to the field to help teams to store their equipment.

Your tournament directors will also be contacting you if there are any
restrictions on access or space to the competition area.

Let's take a look at the rules:

   1.

   R11 – Workspace and Storage
   -

      ●  ON THE FIELD: Handling and storage of allowable things may extend
      out of Safety, into adjacent irrelevant Field space only if specific
      actions and locations are completely non-strategic.
      -

      ●  OFF THE FIELD: Equipment and Models are not allowed on the floor.

This tells your team three things:
1)  it's okay if stuff that you aren't using pokes out of Safety, as long
as you aren't using it for strategic purposes, including interfering with
the autonomous robot.

2)  it's okay to store stuff off the field

3)  it's never okay to put stuff on the floor.

There are also a whole bunch of things that it doesn't say (and by GP2,
bullet 5, that allows you a lot of flexibility.)

a)  it doesn't say that you cannot bring your own box (or two or three), or
prohibit/require certain types of boxes
b)  it doesn't say that you cannot bring a little table of your own (if
there is room)
c)  it doesn't say that other team members cannot hold stuff

<notes for rules mavens:
i) boxes and tables are not used for Mission-related activity, in the
narrow sense of trying to accomplish a Mission on the Field, so by D03,
they aren't Equipment, and so R01 doesn't apply to them.
ii)  R10 only applies to objects on the Field, and R11 explicitly says that
the team can handle things in Storage.
end notes>

  It also could be a good time to review the judging rubrics with your
team, and ask them, "What will you say if you are asked about xyz?"  For
example, in Robot Design, under the Mechanical Efficiency skill area, when
I am a judge, I will be looking to see and hear described an appropriate
balance between quantity and specialization of attachments to see whether
the team is trying to be both efficient and effective in accomplishing
their goals.

Steve Scherr
Virginia-DC FLL Referee Advisor