From:
W bretton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
W bretton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:24:50 -0400
Scratch is great, especially if you have an elementary school team - 4th &
5th graders.  It is written for that age group.  Even my daughter, who is
six loved doing the Scratch programming cards.

Our elementary school is starting an FLL team for the first time.   Because
we have more applicants than team spots, we will also have a club for all
who applied, which will meet more leisurely after tournaments are over.
However, to pick the children for the team, I ran a summer fun programming
challenge to teach the kids the concept of programming.  The challenge took
place all via email over the summer and we used Scratch.   Weekly
assignments I sent out stepped them through the Fish project at redware.com
- http://www.redware.com/scratch/fish.html.   I tested them on my 9 year old
son first before I emailed them out.   Then, I gave them a few bonus
projects along the way.  They seem to have a lot of fun.  Many of them
seemed "Wow'd" that they could write something like that all by themselves.
All done through email.  I get to meet most of them on Wednesday at our
first FLL meeting.   It is amazing what kids can do!

Wendy Bretton