From:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:58:51 -0400
On the feedback-form thread....

At 11:09 AM -0400 10/15/08, John Barrett wrote:
>I appreciate that it is a long day for the judges and it's often
>hard to find volunteers to do the judging in the first place. I like
>the idea of presenting them with a form that can be easily completed
>for each team that gives the team feedback. It would not have to be
>fancy and could be primarily a set of check boxes that highlights
>the elements that worked well and what needed to be improved. The
>project rubric provides an excellent starting point for such a form.
>
>I'm willing to take a stab at creating a feedback form if the
>collective wisdom felt it would be useful (and would be used).

John,

At Ashburn the judges use slips of paper with a 5-7 check-boxes
indicating broad categories of "strengths" and "needs improvement,"
plus a little space for writing comments. I dug up our forms from
last year, and see that the Performance judges checked one box, the
Robot Design judges checked four boxes, and the Teamwork judges
checked two items and wrote two nice sentences of feedback. Given the
time constraints, I think that a more detailed list of check-box
options might be a nice tool for the judges to use as they see fit.
Perhaps broad categories could be supplemented by some
sub-categories, with much of it drawn from the rubrics as you suggest.

Here's what's on the Ashburn forms (the categories are the same under
Strengths and Needs Improvement):

Project Presentation:
   Question, Language Use
   Completeness, Teamwork
   Background, Data & Graphics
   Analysis & Conclusions
   Style

Robot Design:
   Innovative
   Strategy, Process
   Locomotion/Navigation (should be separated, I think)
   Programming
   Children's Work
   Structural
   Overall Design