From:
"Teel, Richard [USA]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Teel, Richard [USA]
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2012 16:38:07 +0000
Scott,

I am assuming that you had 11 kids apply to the team and all are good candidates so you do not want to tell one kid that they were not selected for the team. The ideal thing would be to have two teams because as everyone has stated 10 kids are already a bit much for a FLL team. It is difficult to keep them all engaged with different things to work on. That said, I have been there before and find myself there again this year. My experience is that one or two kids find out in the 2nd or 3rd week that this is something that they don’t want to do and drop out. I have wanted to reach out to them and try to talk them into staying on the team but this takes care of the number of students on the team so they have self-selected. This leaves me with 10 or fewer kids on a team by the time registration is closed so we are at the right number before the tournament and it is not a problem.

It is possible though that no one drops out in which case the backup plan is to take attendance at each meeting and observe who is participating. If I need to make a decision about who to register, I will take these factors into account. Of course, if this happens keep the kids and parents in the loop so they are not caught by surprise on the day of the tournament.

I hope this helps.
Richard Teel
Coach/Mentor for Robotic Roadrunners (7203) & Robotic Roadrunners 2.0 (12938)