From:
B Bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
B Bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2014 08:29:53 -0400
Heather,
I respectfully disagree. I see new standards as trying to keep our kids
safe and believe it's worth it even when it requires more paperwork.  Every
recreational sporting team in my area requires in person sign ups from all
participants, and all coaches go through background checks every year. I
see FLL as not creating new standards, but finally keeping pace up with the
times.
     I certainly understand (first hand) working with disadvantaged team
members, but just like in FLL missions, we need to search for creative
solutions to our obstacles. Maybe your next FLL meeting could in a public
library and have everyone meet near the computers so they can register
online as a team.  Borrow one of the meeting rooms, have 2 or 3 team
building sessions and talk about your meeting schedules.  If the libraries
are further away then some of your families can get easily on the bus
route, tell your situation to the school principal and see if the school
library can't be opened for 30 minutes on a  Saturday or open for for 30
minutes one evening during a meeting.  Or meet where is convenient for you
and try to bring a laptop. If that isn't possible, is it possible to meet
at any member's home who has internet and then allow each parent in time to
register one by one?  I'm not saying this is the easiest thing in the
world, but FLL's new requirements are not out of line with other national
team, scouting or youth group organization. Boys and Girls clubs of America
will not allow you to drop off your unregistered child with a random
volunteer, and now neither will FLL. There are a number of options around
the technical challenge your team faces. I hope you explore what works best
for your team, and then be able to refocus your energies on the good you do
by bringing STEM knowledge to kids who clearly would not have that
advantage without you!
Sincerely,
Brandy B.
Coach of the Electrical Invaders