Sender:
First Lego League Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:17:31 -0400
7bit
From:
Ralph Grove <[log in to unmask]>
The bin is a great idea, but I would advise checking with your local
tournament director before bringing your own folding table. The rules
specify what robot parts may be brought to the competition table, but I
don't recall seeing any mention of a portable table. Some tournaments
may not have space for this.

Ralph Grove

KevinHines wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Bringing a small, folding table to the competition's robot performance table
> is an excellent technique and it's both legal & recommended in FLL.  My FLL
> team has been doing for this years; I believe I learned this idea at an FLL
> coach's workshop 3 years ago.
>
> It is also recommended to use a plastic bin to carry the robot at the
> tournament, and to have the team set the bin upon the small folding table
> next to the robot competition table.  We put a row of self-adhesive, felt
> pads all along the four edges of the small table, to decrease the chance of
> the plastic bin being bumped off of the small table.
>
> Additional pointers: Always have a designated team member carry the robot in
> the bin, and another designated team member carry & set up the small,
> folding table near the base area next to the big robot performance table.
> Same thing goes for carrying the robot & all props to & from the judging
> sessions; always have a designated person for each role, so that nothing is
> forgotten.  The designated person for each role can change between robot
> rounds, so that everyone who wants a turn can have a chance to do one of
> these jobs.
>
> The robot itself, plus attachments, etc., can all be stored in the plastic
> bin, on top of the small folding table, until each item is needed, during
> the robot performance rounds.
>
> I hope that all made sense!  :-)
>
> Good Luck,
> Kevin
>
> Kevin Hines
> Coach, Colonial Elementary, Blue Ridge, VA
> www.RoanokeRobotics.org

Ralph F. Grove, Jr., Ph.D., Associate Professor
James Madison University Department of Computer Science