Sender:
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2019 00:24:57 -0400
From:
Jeff Beima <[log in to unmask]>
To: David Kane <[log in to unmask]>
I agree with David.  I have seen many teams tape their practice mats for
convenience -- some as he mentioned, some with double-sided tape under the
corners, some with dual-lock.  But, it is important that the kids
understand the potential variables for the mats at the tournaments.

We saw just about everything at the different tournaments over the last
eight years -- some unfolded the mats the night before and they still had
folds sticking up, some did not align the mat "correctly" or the table
dimensions weren't what was "expected", some had cracks or un-level
sections under the mat, and somehow they all taped down the mats
differently.

For eight years, our team did not have a permanent practice space so we
found using no tape, rolling the mat, and storing it in a tube or box was
the safest method for transport and easy enough that the kids could do it
themselves.  The looser the roll, the sooner it sits flat.  One benefit was
that it forced the kids to know the proper field setup.

We tried several different tables over the years.  The collapsible/travel
tables will force you to re-align you mat each time so installing and
removing tape is going to end up destroying your mat.

This is a good team engineering project for the kids!

Good luck!

Jeff Beima