Sender:
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2012 09:48:59 -0500
From:
John Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
To: B Bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>

Sonya,
Over the years, what I've found is that some small things can make a huge difference…

- 20 minutes on the trampoline every few meetings is great fun for the kids.

- Regular snack time halfway through the 3 hour practice let's the kids practice being a team without them realizing that this what they are doing (provided a coach is part of the discussion and keeps is gracious).

- We do a teamwork exercise each week.  They are fun and the kids look forward to them.  In fact, this past weekend they started to complain when they thought we wouldn't have time to do one.

- This year, we introduced team push-ups as a sort of punishment/reward.  Specifically, a few weeks ago the team was doing a non-verbal exercise where they needed to put themselves in birth order.  When they arranged themselves, I asked them how sure they were that they were in the correct order.  They were confident.  I asked if they were willing to wager 10 push-ups on it.  If they were in the correct order, the coaches would do the push-ups.  If not, they would do the push ups.  They weren't (thankfully) and did their push ups.  Since then, we've all done some push-ups.

John

--

John J. Barrett
Industrial Medium Software, Inc.