Sender:
Date:
Tue, 13 Sep 2016 12:50:10 -0400
From:
Frank Levine <[log in to unmask]>
Disclaimer - I'm just a coach.  I'm not a referee, and my answer may be
wrong.  That said, I know that the referees monitor this e-mail list.  The
wording of this mission confused me too, and I think that discussing things
like this give the referees a heads up on which missions are likely to have
'interesting' interpretations.

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Nanda Kottury <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello,
> We are a rookie team. Reading through the requirements  “Drive past the
> visually impaired man, and the dog will do her job”

Driving past the man is technically not a scoring requirement (though
you'll have to do it anyway)

More: “Fence must be down because the robot completely crossed it from
> west, after travelling between the barriers  : Y/N
>
> I see that the road goes from west to  east. A couple of questions:
>
> 1.      Does the robot have to move from west to east to pull warning
> fence down ?

The fence has to be down because the robot pushed/pulled it down in the
process of going from the east side of the fence to the west side.  I had
some questions about this one too, and was told to use a common-sense
approach here.

My take is:  You don't have to use the robot motion (like a bulldozer) to
push the fence down.  If your team uses an attachment to push the fence
down, and then crosses it, I believe that still scores.  You can use the
bulldozer approach, but it's not mandated by the wording of the mission.

> 2.      Can the team come up with some creative way to pull the fence down
> other than travelling from west to east ? If so, do we get points

No - crossing from west to east is specified in the mission, and if the
fence is down for any other reason you don't get points.

> 3.      Do we get more points,  only if we cross from west to east ? If
> not, we will get 15 points ??

15 points for the fence being down because you crossed from west to east...
that's it.