Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2016 11:33:07 +0000
Daniel...

Once you receive your schedule, you'll want to plan to be there early enough to check-in and set-up before the opening ceremony. Teams have a table with their name on it, so you'll want to locate it and set up your display boards and/or anything else your team has brought to display. You can then make sure you know where the rooms are that your team will be in for the judging sessions. The rooms at the Norfolk tournament aren't far from the Pit, but they are down some hallways, so it's good to check out where they are when you get there. There is always a coaches meeting before the opening ceremony, so you'll need to attend that as well (that's usually about 15? minutes or so before the opening ceremony). There are also practice tables, so if you get there early enough you have the option of having your team test out their robot on the practice boards.

When you receive your schedule, you'll find that your team has time between each activity (your judging sessions and robot runs), and you can plan for lunch, etc. When we went to Norfolk last year, someone sent out an order form for pizza about a week or so before the tournament, so that's offered again, it may be an option for your team as well. And if you have kids that are sensitive to noise (the tournament is not a quiet event :) ), you can also use the breaks to take the kids outside for a bit. You'll also want to use the time for your kids to walk around and talk to the other teams and see what they've been working on all season.

After your last robot run, you will have some time before the closing ceremony (usually about an hour?) when the judges are deliberating and the closing ceremony is being set up. You can use this time to clean up your area.  There is also a playground across the street at the elementary school and we walked over there for awhile and let our kids play.

Good luck and have fun! :)
Amy Nichols