From:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:54:25 -0500
At 11:02 AM -0500 11/21/08, David Levy wrote:
>One thing that I did notice this season was a drop off of veteran
>teams.  I'm thinking that this may be due to the difficulty in this
>year's robot game and the unwillingness for teams to register for
>tournaments - thinking that their scores were too low.   How about
>those teams that  stuck it out and registered for the regionals?
>Were you surprised that most teams scored lower than prior years?

Yes, that was quite a surprise, and a relief as well!

Based on previous experience, I'd been hoping that our team would aim
to complete all, or nearly all, of the missions, and was thinking "oh
well" when they were approaching the tournament with a maximum of 275
and only if everything worked perfectly and under 2.5 minutes, which
was extremely unlikely. So it was a relief to arrive at Sterling 2
and hear that the previous day's scores had been modest. Though I was
surprised that the day's highest was 220.

I do like that the missions posed more of a challenge this year. It
should be very interesting to see what happens at State. I'll bet
there are some devilishly clever strategies out there.

Mike