Sender:
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:32:14 -0400
From:
Eric Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
To: Savita Sethi <[log in to unmask]>
Your team should be ready to solve a mission or two at the table and answer
questions from the judge

Bring the robot and any attachments
More experienced teams bring printouts of program code (some annotate the
printout), laptops can be used but tend to slow this down
Be prepared to answer questions about the programs, the robot, attachments
and how they are solving the missions, who did the programming
Questions will also cover roles and who did the work

Read the rubric and determine a set of questions that a judge might ask (for
example, how did you choose your base robot design, what other options did
you consider, why)

They can bring in other material but it is not expected. It can help if the
team is judged strongly and the judges have to decided between multiple
teams. For example a few pictures of your robot with different attachments
and maybe annotated.  But again this is not required. Anything that can help
the judges remember your team.

Judges that are more experienced with design will ask questions that
determine what engineering concepts the team understands. They don't have to
know the "official" terminology but the concepts help. Why is the robot so
high, what problems might that create (center of gravity, tip over).  So
things like friction, speed, sensors, etc.

They have 5 mins. That is it.

Some teams come in and take charge, some let the judges drive. Both can work
depending on level of sophistication and age of team members.

Consider letting the kids do this and other judging without adults (coaches,
historian) present.

Hope this helps
Eric Palmer
team #7