Sender:
From:
Stephen Scherr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2014 23:04:28 -0500
As Monson describes the shot attempt, maybe it is okay, and maybe it isn't.

If the entire arm/attachment/robot is behind the line at the instant that
the ball is released, then the shot is okay.  After the release, the arm
may "follow through" and cross over the line.

If the robot and its equipment do not lose contact with the ball until some
part has crossed over the line, then the shot will not count for points.

Update 31, DURING THE SHOT
The process of “sending” the ball is complete as the ball loses contact
with whatever moved it. At that loss-of-contact time, the shot lines no
longer matter.

If your robot takes a shot and "follows through" so that it ends up over
the line, then I highly recommend that you alert your referee in advance
what to look for.  The referee will need to be able to see some separation
between your robot and the ball in order to be able to give you the Benefit
of the Doubt.  (Some of us referees with ultra-mature eyes may struggle
when trying to distinguish what happens during a precise split second of
motion....)

Steve Scherr
VA-DC FLL Referee Advisor

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 10:43 PM, Monson Gmail <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> When the robot takes the shot, is it ok if the arm extends beyond the
shot line? Meaning, we align the robot and its attachment behind the line
before the shot, and then when the arm moves to take the shot, it will
extend out. Is that ok?

> Thanks,
> Monson
>

> On Nov 4, 2014, at 7:48 AM, VA-DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> It does not make a difference for the Sports mission whether the ball
ends up in the net on the fly, or after a bounce.

> It is important for the Sports mission that the "shot" that puts the ball
in the net comes with the robot and its equipment completely behind the
shot lines on the mat.  A simple "drop" straight down into the net is not
okay.

> Steve Scherr
> VA-DC FLL Referee Advisor
>

> On Monday, November 3, 2014, Rosa Rodriguez-Finch <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> A follow-up question to this mission. Can the ball be dropped into the
goal or does it have to bounce over the obstacle?

>> On Nov 3, 2014, at 1:29 PM, Stephen Scherr wrote:
>>
>> As was described here, the shot would not count for mission points.
>>
>> If the loop is attached to the robot, then it is part of the robot (Rule
12).  The Sports mission requires that all equipment involved with the shot
is completely inside the shot lines.  The robot is involved with the shot,
so the entire robot must be east/north of the shot lines.  That includes
anything attachments joined to it, even if that attachment is not otherwise
being used in the shot.

>> Steve Scherr
>> VA-DC FLL Referee Advisor
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Saji Sukumaran <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> Not sure if this was answered earlier.
>>>
>>> we have a robot with an attachment in the front that carries a loop
(from previous mission). But that attachment is not involved in the
throwing of the ball. An attachment behind the robot coupled to a different
motor acts as a catapult to release the ball. But the issue is that the
ball will fall into the goal only if the front part of the robot that is
not involved with the throwing is outside the shot line. Is this allowed?

>>> As per the rule
>>> All equipment involved with the shot was completely east/north of the
“Shot Lines” while sending the ball to the net. So does this incllude the
whole robot with all the attachements, or is it just the robot with the
throwing arm?