From:
"Anant S. Narayanan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:40:52 +0000
James:

The design of the robot for this competition is entirely up to you.  The basic 9797 design (also known as the tribot) is a good place to start.

Your son will soon find that the trailing wheel design for the tribot makes it hard to steer consistently - when the robot reverses, a well made tribot's trailing arm will swing around sometimes to the left and sometimes to the right.  This will make the robot's path hard to control - especially for missions outside the base quadrant.

If he gets to this learning point, he will next redesign the tribot with a skid or slider, or take matters into his hands and build a robot entirely from scratch . . . and an engineer will be born.  Remember to be there to watch and take pictures.  The moment is priceless.

Later on will come more frustration . . . when attachments don't come on and come off, programs don't behave or time starts to run out.  It is all part of the experience.

What sounds like an enormous failure will become an extraordinary learning experience and a lesson in persistence.  I hope you enjoy the journey as must as most of us here have.

Don't hesitate to ask for help -  there are tons of resources on the web (official and unofficial).  We are all in the same boat and the success of one is a success for us all.

Best of luck.

Nari Narayanan
McLean Robotics Institute
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T