Sender:
From:
Brittany Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Sep 2012 19:42:31 -0400
Hi Jeff,

Although VA/DC FLL is run by volunteers and they work very hard to secure corporate sponsorships, it is costly to run a program of this size and some portion of that must come from the teams themselves.  VA/DC FLL was able to keep tournament fees steady for about a decade, but the relatively recent increase to $100 was necessary to insure the program was able to grow and continue offering the excellent experience to our teams for which it is known.

The $100 VA/DC FLL fee covers the cost of the field set up kits for the regional tournaments (as you might imagine with 20 regionals  supporting more than 500 teams, it takes a lot of field set up kits - even sharing them between tournaments), fees associated with the location at which a regional is held (sometimes there is a rental fee, often a janitorial fee, etc.), ribbons and awards, a myriad of other tournament costs, and general administration fees for VA/DC FLL overall.

The team fee paid to FIRST covers the cost of developing each year's challenge, salaries for their (excellent!) paid staff, etc.

As for changing the team name, you should be able to update it by logging into FIRST's registration system and choosing the edit option.  What FIRST has on record isn't a big deal - you'll just want to be sure that you get the correct name to the regional tournament organizers so that it shows up correctly in the program, on schedules, etc.  You should be able to edit this in the VA/DC FLL tournament registration system.

Cheers,
Brittany

Sent from my iPhone