Sender: First Lego League in Virginia and DC <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 18:08:21 -0400
From: Stephen Scherr <[log in to unmask]>
Hi folks,
  most of what is being sent around is correct, but there are some
details that teams should keep in mind.

A)  The Disinfect mission does not require that any bacteria be
brought to Base.  It only asks if dispensers are empty.
B)  There are 60 bacteria on the field, not 48.  If any of those is
touching the mat outside Base at the end of the match, then the empty
dispensers are worth 7 points.  If there are no bacteria touching the
mat outside Base, then the empty dispensers are worth 12 points.
C)  In order to reduce the value of empty dispensers from 12 to 7,
then BOTH of these conditions must be true  (1) there is one or more
bacteria touching the mat, and (2) the place where at least one of
those bacteria touch the mat is outside Base.   There are many ways to
be sure that empty dispensers are worth 12 points.  Two of those many
ways are to make sure that all bacteria are in Base, or to make sure
that no bacteria are on the mat.

For people who like to be precise, Rule 15 about Storage and Workspace
and Rule 8 about what is considered to be in Base DO apply for the
bacteria.  [and yes, I am still planning to tell you to keep the
yellow bacteria on the field.]

Steve Scherr
VA/DC FLL Referee Advisor