From:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 02:17:40 -0500
All,

I really liked this year's table in that it offered a very broad
"dynamic range" of mission difficulties. There were some
pretty-darned-easy missions (storm, blue/gray person, nearest carbon
ball) that were within reach of novice roboticists who were just
learning to drive, ranging all the way up to tough missions (raising
the house, finding agreement, returning the ice core, moving and
verticalizing the drilling machine) that caused serious
head-scratching to even the most experienced teams. That the top
scores at VA/DC State was 330 speaks to the challenge of completing
that broad range of broadly distributed missions in 150 seconds. Some
teams came close to "running the table," but I didn't hear of a
single team who went to tournament with a practiced plan to earn 400
points.

Having spent three or four months biting my tongue as a coach--doing
my best to guide and inspire rather than suggest solutions, and now
that we're past the States, I'd be curious to hear what sorts of
strategies were used for those harder missions. Marie shared Vector
67's ingenious devices for the house and agreement mission, and a
simple but clever grab-n-drag method for towing the drill back to
Base.

Our team, the BLT, combined those three missions into one:  A
flap-like panel attached to a front-mounted motor was raised and
lowered as the robot drove repeatedly past the arrows, turning them
one click on each pass; the number of passes was entered by tapping a
touch sensor before leaving Base. Driving eastward toward the drill
machine, a flexible loop jutting from the right side of the robot
hooked the red lever, raising the house before slipping free. Gaps in
the flap attachment allowed it to skewer and lift the drill machine
for carrying back to Base. Like Vector 67, BLT placed objects bound
for the research area on top of a ramp; the robot drove the ramp to
the ice cliff, then pushed the objects, and itself, up and off the
ramp.

What other strategies were invented?

--
Cheers,