From:
Heather Houlden <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Heather Houlden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2010 23:48:46 -0400
Hi there,

I have the same issue. I have 10 kids (9-11 yo). All of us are new at
this and I find it is difficult (but still fun) to keep all of those kids
focused at one time.
The biggest issue I find, is that all the kids want to program the robot,
but I cannot convince all of them to work out all the details in advance
and then program. So some tend to lose time while they wait to get on
the computer.
The kids seem to be having a good time, and they are learning, so I
focus on that. :)

Sonya, I really like your team led approach. Maybe we can do something
like that with our next year's team.

Heather

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 23:29:03 -0400, Sonya Shaver
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi Laura,
>Ten is a lot.  I honestly don't know that I could do it, so I commend
you!
> Do you have another adult who can help?  Can you ask the parents to
take
>turns coming to the meetings for these last few weeks?  If you had
one more
>adult at each meeting, you could break the kids into groups and just
rotate
>through working on different things.  One group could work on
research while
>one does programming, then switch.
>
>You might also sit down with the team and ask them what they
think.  Let
>them know that you are having a hard time with all the arguing, and
you
>would like them to work out a better way to sort out their conflicts.
Have
>them come up with a solution and stick to it at least for one meeting.
Then
>if it isn't working, they can try something else.  For example, one
year, we
>were having trouble with everyone getting their say in and feeling
heard.
> So the kids decided to use a "talking stick" during discussion time.
You

<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

>> Sounds like you will have what you need- but I have an extra NXT
brick
>> (personal)- not parts I'd be happy to lend in an emergency; in
Richmond Va
>> if you need. I had a 7 person rookie team that worked well together
last
>> year. This year have the max of 10.  Keeping the newer kids
occupied- we
>> have one robot- (have an extra brick but not enough parts to do
much with)
>> and right now only one computer for research during team meetings-
 i sense
>> some of the newer kids struggling- one new kid who feels he knows
everything
>> and if he isn't the one in charge doesn't want to do anything. We
continue
>> to do team building exercises- now each sessions cause has been
an issue-
>> lots of arguing- wasn't like this last year- the larger team- three new
>> members with no experience- they don't seem content to shadow
veteran's -
>> goof off and distract.  Any ideas for new members without a lot of
>> experience involving them?  We have 5-6 very dedicated team
members who are
>> getting frustrated.
>> On Oct 18, 2010, at 4:37 PM, Salas, Alex wrote:
>>
>> We can lend you one, we are in Hopewell Hgh School.
>>
>> Let us know.
>>
>> T. 804 541 6402 ext 247
>> Hopewell High School
>> 400 South Mesa Drive
>> Hopewell, VA 23860
>> (804) 541-6402   phone
>> (804) 541-6403   fax
>>

>> On 10/18/10 4:05 PM, "Patrick Angel" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am in my fourth year of FLL and our team is in a desperate need
of an
>> NXT.  All three of our NXTs died this year.  I have contacted Lego
Education
>> and the Tech support people confirmed they all have a dead LCD
display.  I
>> have sent all three off to be repaired at no charge.  However, the
turn over
>> time is 3 - 4 weeks.  If any team has an extra NXT that we can
barrow for
>> the season it would be greatly appreciated by my kids.  I reside in
the West
>> Point area and teach in Middlesex.  I will travel to pick-up if one is
>> available.  Hopefully Richmond or Tidewater.
>>
>> Thank You

>-- To UNSUBSCRIBE or CHANGE your settings, please visit
https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-l.html and select "Join or leave
the list".

>-- VADCFLL administrative announcements are sent via VADCFLL-
ADMIN-L. Visit https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-admin-l.html to
subscribe.