From:
Jeff Beima <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Beima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2015 19:21:07 -0500
Sorry, I don't have a good example of what you're asking for but here are
some ideas.

It is usually best for all team members to plan to be together as a team
for the entire eight hour day -- not disappearing with family and not
having all the parent in tow.  If the parents don't have a "job", they
should be watching the robot game competitions.

It should be obvious that one coach in charge of ten fourth-graders is not
enough. You need to plan for adults to be at least "two deep" and more if
you have a mix of boys and girls. Adults will need breaks during the eight
hours too.

Personally, I encourage the kids to invite their entire families because it
is a lot of fun for everyone. But, it is a very long day (full 8 hours)
with little to do other than watch the robot game competitions and wander
through the pit and very little face time with their own kid.

Giving parents a role is a great idea. Some ideas for parent assistants
(borrowing heavily from Scott Rakestraw's 11/12/2012 email):

*Assistant or Subteam Coaches*  In judging session with/instead of coach
*Lunch Coordinator*  Coordinate getting families and kids in one place at
lunch. help with special diet needs. Check with your tournament director as
they may have concessions that help finance the tournament.
*Tournament Swaps Coordinator*  Help with the judging sessions transitions.
Running to the pit/car when something is forgotten. Remember, the kids do
all the setup in the judging sessions.
*Team photographer and videographer  *One person responsible for video
during judging sessions, take shots of all team members in lieu of parents,
take "official" team photos.  Most importantly, sharing all with the whole
team.
*Pit Escort * Keep an eye on the team's pit while the team is elsewhere.
Assist with rounding up kids when time to get to another event.

*Social Coordinator*  Coordinate and run periodic core value exercises and
games during the day.

Note that there are restrictions on adults in the judging sessions -- *judging
sessions are not open to the public!* Let parents know in advance to set
expectations. Though every tournament director has their own rules, plan on
only two FLL registered coaches/mentors being allowed in and consider
yourself lucky if one parent "videographer" is allowed in.

Jeff Beima

Coach, Terra Centre Robotics Club

Terra-Techno Tigers, FLL Team #6960

Terra-Techno Tigers Two, FLL Team #21373