From:
Anant Narayanan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anant Narayanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2014 12:32:21 -0400
I will let Nick, Karen and Dustin explain the official position, but we are
planning to use paper forms this year for all tournaments.

By our reading, paper forms alone are perfectly legal for this year, for
both VA-DC FLL (regional) and US First (national).  There is an online
process to request paper forms to meet national requirements (this is a two
pager).  The current version of the VA-DC regional tournament registration
process (which is just last year's process, thankfully) uses only a paper
consent.

US FIRST would love to have the information all in one place (and in the
long run, this will help bring professionalism to team marketing, as they
will be able to use the magic of social networking and direct marketing to
bring more kids to robotics, rather than the current ad hoc school and
parent posters), but we have elected to defer the added burden on parents
to beyond this transition year by sticking with paper forms.

Please note that VA DC FLL is only asking for the consent form while US
FIRST also asks for a demographic form.  We are bringing both to our
tournaments.  Also, for new coaches, there is yet a third piece of paper
which all teams must bring (at least 4 copies, we suggest more like 10) --
the Team Info Sheet.  This is what helps judges keep track of the teams on
competition day.  All judges read this sheet.  Many do not eat the candy
that comes with it!

The registration is working beautifully this morning.  A great case for not
fixing what isn't broken :-)

Nari

Narayanan Founder & Executive Director*

*McLean Robotics Institute*

* McLean VA 22102 202-421-3826 (cell) [log in to unmask]