From:
Brian Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Hardy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Aug 2013 09:55:08 -0400
yeah, two years ago, when we got our first corporate sponsorship, the company paid our expenses to First/Lego via PO. But last year, they just gave us coupon codes that we used on the purchase screen. Our sponsor is/was one of the biggest contributors to FLL, so if there had been something two years ago they would have been tight with it. This year, it looked like I needed to find a new sponsor, so I started researching this contribution issue and found the reference to the "grant program" at USFirst. I wanted to find out how my prospective donors could deduct the contribution, so I called first to enquire about the program. I didn't go very far, since the owner of my biggest prospective donor has a daughter on the team (and thus didn't want to try to deduct it) and since our previous donor got their program back on line in time to help us.

The gist of it is that the donor makes a contribution to USFirst (usually earmarked for a particular team, there are very few, if any, standing donors at First) and then USFirst gives them a coupon code. If any cash needs to go to the team (as is more likely the case in FTC and FRC teams then it is with FLL), then it has to be routed through a recognizable non-profit or school.

USFirst can give you the details about how the donor makes the contribution, how it gets earmarked, how the coupon code gets distributed, etc. I never got that far into the details.

Hope that helps