Sender:
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2015 16:06:21 +0000
From:
"Swayne, Nick - swaynedd" <[log in to unmask]>
To: Samantha Joyner <[log in to unmask]>
Samantha,

This is another aspect of the problem solving process that is incorporated into the Core Values and Research Project aspects of FLL – and why it is such a comprehensive program.

In most research circumstances (and many engineering situations – and if you believe reality TV – even cooking and dating) you have less time than you think is possible and fewer resources than you think practical – but people figure it out.

One way to do that is through sponsorships (or research grants).  How do you get them?  You find a way that connects the work you’re doing with their corporate mission, identity, or goodwill.  It’s not easy.  Most potential sponsors have way more people asking for support than they have funds to offer – so you need to do the research on companies in your area that might have a tie to the program/project research you’re doing.  The nice thing about trash is that every community has it – every community struggles with it, and companies make a lot of money dealing with it.

Make the value argument that your program offers the best return on their investment.  Build the relationship.  Keep them engaged.  Provide updates, pictures, blog entries, and actual physical snail-mail notes so they know what you’re doing with the money.

Nick