Sender:
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2017 12:18:16 -0400
From:
VA-DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>
Talking about Storage is always fun.....  We spent hours on it last spring.
:-|

Can we count on there being a "stand" (is that a table?) at our regional
tournament?
-- VA-DC FLL strongly recommends to all Tournament Directors that they
provide a "stand" at all tournament tables.  At some tournaments that I go
to, they are TV trays.  At some, they are chairs (like the VA-DC
Championship).  In some cases, a tournament might have small tables
available.  The Mountaineer Invitational this summer had 6-foot tables.  I
am pretty good about ensuring that something is made available during
tournament setup at tournaments where I am Head Referee, but it's
tournament dependent.
-- We also strongly recommend to all Tournament Directors that they
communicate with coaches before the tournament to advise of any
restrictions in access to tables, or space restrictions for teams that want
to bring their own stands.
-- I'll also permit a team member to "act like a stand" by holding a box or
tray near the Technicians.  No handling of Equipment or Mission Models
would be allowed by the stand, of course.

Do we know how big the stand will be?
-- No.  But talk with your Tournament Director to find out the plan.  Also,
it's my impression that most Virginia-DC FLL tournaments allow teams to
bring their own stand, space permitting.

If we want to store anything off the Field, is that the only place
authorized (besides the hands of the technicians)?
Rule 12 only allows off-Field Storage on a stand.  We will certainly
enforce that for all Mission Models, for a variety of reasons.
Some referees will be more lenient with team Equipment.  [We tell ourselves
that "a team member just holding Equipment is kind of like a stand..."]
 FWIW, Scott Evans, the game designer, is uncomfortable with the idea of
non-Technicians holding Equipment, but I'm still working on him.

Steve Scherr
Referee Advisor
Virginia-DC FLL