Sender:
From:
Sean Paus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 17:27:46 -0400
One of my team members just found a YouTube video that shows a robot solving
the Body Forward robot missions:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCsTDr1-wOM

Obviously, several members of my team asked me "Can we do that?".  I
cautioned them that judges may be aware of this video and may deduct points
for using someone else's solution.  Would that be a fair assessment?

I, personally, am very disappointed to find that someone posted solutions to
this problem before the end of the tournament season.  I'd prefer that my
boys come up with their own solutions to the missions.  I would not rule out
researching robot designs and programs that solve different, yet similar
problems.   However, handing them solutions to the current challenge seems
... wrong to me.

What are other coaches thoughts on this?  How about anyone who may be
judging competitions in the VA/DC area?

Sean M. Paus
FLL Coach