From:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:27:57 -0400
(Replying to the entire list because this is a great question!)

>We're a rookie team with rookie coaches.
>Do we have to do the missions sequentially or could we do parts of
>each one as we go along?

You don't have to do the missions in any order, or even try all of them.

A theme you'll hear again and again is: if the rules don't require it, you don't have to do it. If the rules don't forbid it, it's OK.

So since the rules don't say, "The missions must be done in this order", you're free to do 'em in any order. Implicit exceptions are things like, "At the end of the round, the robot must be in position x to score y points", which of course tells you that that's the last mission you'll want to try (if you even try it).

Remember to let the kids figure it out! If a rookie team tries only a few missions, they have nothing to be ashamed of. Remember that the missions are ONLY 25% of your score! It's not at all uncommon for a team to do poorly on the table, make State, and then do much better on the table at State because they've (a) had more time to work and (b) seen other strategies that gave them more ideas.