From:
Angie Fontanilla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Angie Fontanilla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2015 14:45:57 +0000
Ric,

I check our records and I was mistaken.  The high school I was thinking of that would have been interested in mentory is far from the Burke area.  Unfortunately, Lake Braddock HS in Fairfax County does not have an official FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) or FIRST Tech Challenge (FTC) teams.  However, there may be experienced FLL and FTC private teams in the area that may be interested in mentoring younger FLL teams.

To reach out to other FLL teams in Virginia, join the VA-DC FLL listserve at https://listserv.jmu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=VADCFLL-L.  Once you join this listserve, you can send an email to [log in to unmask] and ask if there are any experience FLL teams in your area in Burke who are available to mentor your team.  I don't have access to the FLL team data as that is managed by our VA-DC FLL partner (based in Harrisonburg, VA).

As for FTC teams, registration for the 2015 FTC season is still in progress so teams are still forming.  As of today, I see only 1 FTC team from Burke from the 2014 season.  I need to contact that coach first to see if they will be active for the 2015 season and if they are available to mentor your team.  I'm hoping that more FTC teams will sign up.

Meanwhile, we can plan a meeting sometime in early July to help your team get started on your curriculum planning for the season.  I am a co-coach for my own child's FTC team this season.  We're an experienced FLL team (participated since 2011) but will be moving up to FTC for this 2015 season. Since we're located in the Herndon/Reston area--so we will not be able to commit to regularly mentor your FLL team.    However, as part of our team's core values goals, some of my team members (all rising 8th graders) may be available for a few hours in July and August for FLL training.  Let me know if this is something you're interested in and what your students/coaches/mentors availability would be.

thanks,
Angie

Angie Fontanilla
Senior Mentor, Washington, DC, FIRST