From:
VA/DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
VA/DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 2013 23:41:02 -0400
FLL Teams,
  now that we're getting into the last few weeks of the FLL season your
team is probably looking at the various missions that your robot can get
points on and thinking about how you combine them to do the most during a
2.5 minute match.

  Now that you've figured out what is going on with the robot game, it
is *really,
really* helpful to have each of the team members read and reread the
Missions, Rules, Game Updates, and Field Setup documents.

  Challenge your assumptions!  Is something allowable that you haven't
thought of before?  Or, is something that you are doing now not going to be
allowed at a tournament?

  There's a special energy and creativity that team members get from the
combination of panic and adrenaline that shows up when a referee tells
them, "Did you know, you're not actually allowed to do that because of Rule
XYZ?"  It's better to save that creativity to respond to the robot movement
and operations issues that will also probably show up.

  Teams that rely on their coach to master the rules are typically less
successful than teams that have one or more team members who are the
experts.  Your team members have to know the game documents in order to
have a meaningful discussion with the tournament referees when asking for
benefit of the doubt (Rule 40).

  Over the next couple of days I'll share my previews of what to expect at
your FLL tournament.  I am getting excited to see our Virginia/DC FLL teams
in action--I know that you will show me some great ideas that I haven't
thought of, and that you'll have some remarkable things to show to the
judges too.

Steve Scherr
VA/DC FLL Referee Advisor

P.S.  in the original message below, the last reference should be Rule *44*,
Bullet 6...