Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 06:35:16 -0700
Dear coach and otheer rookie teams in particular:

Your team is exactly that I want to help. If you are interested in the FLL INFO DVD that I offer to the community (school teams and rookie teams only), simply send me your mailing address, and I'll mail it out to you right away.

The creation in FLL activity is based on learning - some genius may have creative ideas without learning but most of us are NOT such type of people!

"we pretty much used the book to design ours." - actually I think "play ball" robot in the building book with the NXT Ed package is a GREAT start for this year challenge AND for any FLL Challenges - Have you seen "Sea Monsters" robot and preformace? - the team won division one 1st place robot performance in 2007 in VA state tourney and their robot is pretty much as the "play ball" robot!!! It was their execution plan (design, program and run all together) produced great performace!

Your team should build the "play ball" robot if the team hasn't done it yet, then look in the way to modify it to get better functionality to play this year's missions - the position of the "arm"?, where to put the light sensor and even ultrasonic sensor? Reminder you have all freedom to change the configuration of the robot as long as the change is making the robot ROBUST - are you using the beams, axiles and pegs to construct the machnism? After you put the parts together, check out if there is weak connections and find a way to reinforce it.

Jin