From:
Michael Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Nov 2010 15:09:39 -0500
In our practice if you hit the handle to the syringe too hard it will fly
forward making it impossible to retrieve. We had to slow our robot down to
make sure that it did not hit the handle too hard. Also remember to set the
syringe up with the back wheels touching the leaver part of the handle.  If
you set it up wrong in practice, touching the front wheels, it could go up
the ramp a ways and then fall back.

Mike
Coach WAFFLEBOTS!
Team 7574

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Sonya Shaver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm replying to this email late, but we also had problems with the syringe
> at our regional tournament.  I think the syringe was not set correctly,
> because our robot pushed it all the way down every single time, but the
> syringe would roll forward, over the top of the ramp, instead of rolling
> back.  This is not what it did in our practices.  We were able to make it
> roll backward consistently, whether it was with our hand or with the robot,
> but at the tournament, it was totally different.  I actually think that
> there is a certain way it needs to be set, and if it is not set correctly,
> then it will roll forward instead of back.
>
> For example, with the pressure tester, it does matter "how" you push it.
>  If you push it too fast, it won't work.  However, we thought that the
> syringe was more straightforward, if you push it all the way down, then it
> should roll back.  Because this is what it did consistently throughout our
> practices.  In fact, this was one of the first things we did.  But a lot
> rides on that, because then if you don't get the doctor and the blood cells,
> then you won't get the points for the other missions that involve those
> pieces.
>
> If anyone can comment, I would be grateful for advice.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sonya
>

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 9:27 PM, VA/DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>
>> Jeff,
>>   yes, we expect the syringe to roll into base in normal operation.  You
>> may ask the referee to check that it is doing so.
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> On Nov 14, 2010, at 7:57 PM, Jeff Schatz wrote:
>>
>> Can anyone assist  with a syringe question based on the tournament
>> experiences thus far, if the models are correctly constructed, will the
>> syringe supposed to roll back to base on its own?  Ie if you tripped the red
>> level by hand as a test, is it supposed to roll back to base? If it does not
>> seem to be rolling back to base, can you request the referee to adjust the
>> wheels before the start?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jeff

Michael Brown