Sender:
From:
"Swayne, Nick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 2009 09:38:02 -0400
All VA-DC FLL Lego folks.

I spoke with Sherri Box from the VT Transportation Institute.  She was very excited to hear that this year's FLL theme was "Smart Move."  She encourages everyone to visit their website for information on smart roads and other transportation related information.

Also, she invited everyone to attend their School Day event on October 8th.  The flier is attached.

I've included a portion of her response below - hopefully some of your questions are addressed there.

Thanks

Nick Swayne
JMU College of Education
Coordinator for External Relations
Memorial Hall 3270, MSC 6911
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
(540) 568-6093

We don't have a traveling show that would be geared to that age group however, if any of the groups want to come here to VTTI, we have having our semi-annual School Day/Public Open House on Thursday, October 8th.   The School Day portion is from 9 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. and the public Open House is from 4 - 7 p.m.  I've attached the flyer so you can see what goes on during these two events.  We "make rain" using our all-weather testing section of the Smart Road and they go to 3 other "stations" during both of these tour times.

If any of the Lego League groups can make it here on the 8th, my lighting researcher said he'd be happy to gear his talk toward whatever they need for the competition.  Also, he is checking his schedule to see if there would be a possibility of hosting kids here on Saturday, October 10th, although that is a home VT football game so traffic might be a bear.  Hopefully, he'll find out something soon about that.

Be happy to talk to you further about the possibilities; I'm out of the office on Fridays and have a research lab grand opening on Monday but will be in the office next Tuesday.  If you have some free time, I'd love to talk with you more about this.

Thanks!

Sherri B

Sherri Box
Public Relations & Marketing Manager
Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI)
3500 Transportation Research Plaza (0536)
Blacksburg, VA  24061
540-231-1549 Office
540-818-1770 Cell
540-231-1555 Fax