Sender:
From:
Sonya Shaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2014 09:48:35 -0400
I agree, I would not use this table.  I'm sorry!  It is hard to be in a
bind like that at this point in the season.  Challenge update #4 says:

4 - MAT SIZE/FIT
This year’s mats are running ever-so-slightly wide (north/south). If this
is causing your mat not to lay flat between your table walls, the
official solution is to trim the black border off your mat’s north edge,
since that border serves no function and this change will not be
noticed by a robot. Try to do a good job, but your care is more important
for safety than for accuracy. Thanks for your understanding
as we adapt to our new mat material. (Mat correction and policy
announcement.)

But it says "ever-so-slightly".  I have been using the same table for many
years and, while this year's mat does fit tighter than previous years, we
actually didn't have to trim our mat at all.
Your picture looks way off to me.  I would try to find a new table to buy,
or have someone build a new table, and work on a hard surface with the mat
until it was ready, and just try to not do anything yet that would require
the walls.

If you build a new table, I would just be sure it follows the directions in
the rules for this year.  Maybe you can find a willing parent with a free
Saturday afternoon?  That is really all it would take if you had someone
with carpentry skills.
Good luck!

Sonya