From:
Curt Tran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Curt Tran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2013 10:49:09 -0700
Hi Chinni,

Your first question is answered in the Judging FAQ (http://www.firstlegoleague.org/event/judgingfaq) with question #4.  An excerpt is included below:

Q: How is the Champion’s Award determined?  Are certain weights used?

A: FLL’s Champion’s Award recognizes a team that “embodies the FLL experience, by fully embracing our Core Values while achieving excellence and innovation in both the Robot Game and Project.”
At an official event judges will look for balanced, strong performance across all 3 areas; this means that all three judged sessions (Core Values, Robot Design, and Project) are weighted equally to determine the initial group of Champion’s candidates.  (All candidates must also meet the 3 requirements highlighted in my earlier e-mail.)  All candidate teams are then reviewed during a deliberative process that considers Robot Performance placement and other qualitative factors.  Final determination of the award winner(s) is based on a vote of the full judging panel.

For additional clarification, the Robot Games scores are used to determine the Robot Performance Award.  In regarding to the Champion's Award, the qualifying candidates must be among the top 40% of all teams participating in the Robot Game at the event (see my previous e-mail).  As such, a team that might win Robot Performance Award with the highest scores does not automatically get advance to State competition.

Regarding to your last question, the robot games scores are posted at the tournament either with overhead projector or on large poster board as the games progress.  We do not track scores for the three judging sessions.  At the end of the tournament, the team will get back any handed in materials that they gave to the judges for review.  There will typically some feedback for the team similar to the rubrics form that I've e-mailed out earlier.

Cheers,
Curt