From:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 2009 15:11:39 -0400
What Nick said!

I was going to express it this way:

One big suggestion: calm down. Your role isn't to worry; your role is to keep them from worrying too much. Remind them that the table performance is ONLY 25%. Remind them that they're rookies (I assume). Remind them that they're learning -- that NASA blew up more than a couple of rockets before they got things working.

And promise them that the tournament will be a *blast* no matter how they do! Last year a team backed out at the last minute because they "weren't ready". That breaks my heart, and makes me think that the coaches didn't "get it".

One of the MANY wonderful things about FLL is that teams who do "horribly" at the tournament still have fun. In eight years of being involved, I've seen one kid cry, and she had fallen and was in pain (and was fine a few minutes later). Even glum faces are rare; intense scowls of frustration while watching a robot misbehave are a bit more common, of course...!
--
Phil Smith III
Virginia State Judge Advisor, 2007, 2008, 2009

Coach, The Capital Girls, Oak Hill (retired)
Team 1900 (2002)
Team 2497 (2003)
Team 2355 (2004)
Team 1945 (2005)