Sender:
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2010 11:15:04 -0400
From:
Sonya Shaver <[log in to unmask]>
To: Matthew Cuba <[log in to unmask]>
Congratulations on starting an FLL team!  It has been the most awesome
experience for us!  I agree with everything said above too.  I started a
team two years ago for my son and a few of his friends.  They were all just
turning nine that year, so they were the youngest in the age range, and
several people had recommended to me to keep it small with a very young
team.  That was the best decision, especially with a first time team (and
coach!).

A team of four was the perfect size for us because we met at my house and I
do not think I could have kept any more than that engaged and actively
working on the project at the same time.  However, if you have an assistant
coach, you could split into two groups and have each group working on
something different.  We did that a lot even with just four.  Two kids would
work on programming while the other two worked on research and then they
would switch.  I did have an assistant coach but he was not able to be there
for every practice.  We were much more productive when we had two adults
there though.  Each member had the opportunity to work on all aspects of
programming and research this way.  I think if you have older kids, it is
much easier to have a large team.

We split the costs among the parents, but this year I am going to apply for
some sponsorships.  There are lots of grants out there for schools and
technology, so do a little digging and you may be able to find some money
(since you are a school) if you will have families who are unable to
contribute.  Although it is not prohibitively expensive, and certainly not
any more expensive than sports fees when it is divided up.

I definitely think you should start now.  Our team is already meeting this
month to work on some programming theory and to start exploring the topic of
biomedical engineering.  We plan to meet over the summer too.  Not weekly or
anything, but we will be meeting.  I would start gathering interest and
names now, and do at least one informational meeting.  Then maybe you can
get your team from that group and start communicating over the summer.  If
you wait until school starts, you will have no time to get the planning
hassles out of the way in time to really start the challenge.  It is a short
eight weeks!  We always feel like we don't have enough time, despite feeling
like we start early every year!

We only have one robot, though we have a lot of extra parts because my kids
have access to their excessive Lego collections at home.  :)

Please feel free to ask questions.  I highly recommend going to a new coach
workshop (the one with Ralph Grove at JMU was awesome) and networking with
more experienced coaches.  I cannot say enough about the wonderful advice
and mentorship I received from other coaches!  (Thanks, by the way!)  This
will be our third year in FLL and the kids have had such a great experience.
 I have learned right along with them, though they surpass me in their
programming skills by now!

Good luck!

All the best,
Sonya Shaver