From:
Alex Pettitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alex Pettitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 13:47:05 -0400

You need to read the FAQ

http://www.firstlegoleague.org/challenge/projectfaq [4]

Here is the text.

1 - CAN WE CHOOSE A FORCE OF NATURE THAT IS NOT ON THE LIST?
No, please choose a force of nature on the list in the Project
description. We specifically chose relatively short natural events that
fit the disaster cycle of prepare, stay safe, and rebuild. There are
other forces of nature that could cause destruction, but we have chosen
to focus on this list for Nature's Fury:

	* Avalanche or landslide

	* Tornado or cyclone

	* Earthquake

	* Tsunami

	* Flood

	* Volcanic eruption

	* Hurricane

	* Wildfire

	* Storm (wind, sand, blizzard, or rain)

There has been an update

3 – CAN WE STUDY A TYPE OF STORM THAT IS NOT SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED ON
THE LIST?
Clarification of Question 1 below: Extreme storms are a valid category
of natural events for Nature's Fury. This would include the types of
storms specifically mentioned (wind, sand, blizzard, or rain) as well as
ice and similar severe atmospheric storms. Please keep in mind that you
should think about the extreme version of these natural events. If your
community has ice storms all the time, and everyone is prepared for
them, then they do not cause a natural disaster. However, a severe
rainstorm, ice storm, or sandstorm in a community that is not prepared
could harm many people and lots of property, so it could be considered a
disaster.

> Yes, you can choose any natural disaster in your community or near by.
>
> The list referenced in the email is to open up disaster that does not typically happen in your area.
>
> Just make sure it is a natural disaster, and your team will be fine.
>
> BEST WISHES,
> T. (CURT) TRAN
> JUDGES ADVISOR, GMU REGIONAL ’11 & '12
> JUDGES ADVISOR, TJHSST REGIONAL ’09
> MENTOR TEAM #5390, KILMER-I ’09
> MENTOR TEAM #8941, KILMER-II ’09
> COACH TEAM #324, SCITOBOR ’08
> COACH TEAM #3563, RABID LLAMA LORDS ’07
>
> On Sep 10, 2013, at 1:09 PM, Alex Pettitt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> My team had an off list disaster that they wanted too.
>
> My reading of it was you had to pick from this list.
>
> I already had talked them out of Zombies which was their first choice.
>
> On 2013-09-10 12:51, Michael Jones wrote:
>
> The challenge materials state to choose a community where one of the
> following natural disasters could happen:
>
> Avalanche or landslide
> Tornado or cyclone
> Earthquake
> Tsunami
> Flood
> Volcanic eruption
> Hurricane
> Wildfire
> Storm (wind, sand, blizzard, or rain)
>
> Are teams allowed to choose natural disasters not on this list? My team is
> begging me to ask!

Links:
------
[1] https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-l.html