From:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sherene Silverberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2009 15:39:19 -0500
Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on how to fix the brick. I tried
everything that was suggested and when nothing worked, I called Lego
Education's support center.

The tech talked me through a host of different possible fixes. None
worked.   Now he's sending me a new brick.

For now, we're going to change out the brick and then rewrite the
program onto a PC laptop that we're borrowing from another team mate.
That way, if it is a Mac issue, we'll at least negate that problem.

The rogue events have been reduced to about 1 in 7.   Still
unacceptable, but better than with the Mac.

We'll soldier on, but I am thoroughly disgruntled and this will be our
first and our final year with FLL unless someone from Lego can assure
me that they have take care of all their bugs.   It's totally
unacceptable that a company can charge the exorbitant amount they do
for the NXT kits and then still have these bugs.

I fully understand that FLL is about solving problems, however, the
problems should be with robot design and programing, NOT faulty
equipment.

These children have put hours upon hours into this project and I can't
say that they've learned as much as I'd have liked.  They've learned
that the robot ignores the bricks they put in the program whenever it
feels like it. They've learned that the brick breaks when you reset
it. They've learned that NXT probably doesn't work well with Macs. We
are a Mac family and own two NXT kits.   Kits that I bought this year
for the children.  I feel ripped off.  There is a very bad taste in my
mouth.

So, all in all, this is not a good introduction to FLL.

Sherene