Sender:
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2012 18:34:23 -0400
From:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
To: Jeff Lavezzo <[log in to unmask]>
Yes, yes, and YES! Please do register for and attend a tournament.

FLL tournaments are a blast. This marks my eleventh  year of being involved
with FLL, and I have never seen a kid at a tournament who wasn't having fun.
When you consider that most of the teams actually don't wind up winning
anything, I think that's a testament right there (and compare and contrast
that with every sports tournament you've been to).

Believe it or not, it sounds to me like you're right on schedule: you're
hitting the typical wall that every team hits about now, when nothing works
and nobody thinks they'll ever get it to.

Key point: the robot performance is only 25% of the score. Yes, it sounds
like your team is time-challenged, but so is every team. And that's one of
the things that you can help them with: guide them in deciding who will
focus on what - project research, presentation, teamwork, robot design,
programming, running the robot - and have those subsets meet as availability
permits. Depending on the choices they make, they may even be able to make
progress between meetings.

Focus on getting a few of the missions to work: KISS is your friend. And
even if none of them work at the tournament, again, that's only 25% of the
overall score. The table is what the kids tend to focus on, of course, but
heck, I've seen teams win Robot Design or Core Values or Project who did
horribly on the table; I've seen the same teams advance to State!

If the kids haven't figured this out yet, here's something else I think is
key: they really aren't competing against the other teams so much as against
time and their own robot. It's a sprint; they need to figure out what they
can and cannot achieve and get as much of those things done as possible,
that's all. Kind of like real life (just one of the reasons I think FLL is
so great).

Remember Gracious Professionalism and team spirit-those matter. A team song,
T-shirts, a logo, a mascot-something that shows they're a team. If you
challenge them to come up with things, I bet they'll surprise you.

At the risk of sounding Zen, FLL is a journey, not a destination; they will
have fun at a tournament, honest. As will you: your job as a coach is easy
on tournament day-get them to seven events, on time and without losing
anybody. The rest is up to them.

--

Phil Smith III

Coach, The Capital Girls (retired)