From:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 20:03:31 -0400
Karen,

David's solution may help, but it's possible to have pieces of broken
wire that are simply impossible to find. Just to make sure everyone's
on the same page:  the "broken wire" in question is not a physical
wire, it's a programming wire that (when not broken) connects the
data hubs of two programming blocks. Those of you who use wires know
that a broken wire shows up as a dotted-gray line, whereas good wires
show up as solid, colored lines.

You may find the wire by moving blocks around, but some wires resist
being found, because they're very short or hidden behind blocks.
There is a solution, recommended in "The Lego Mindstorms NXT Idea
Book." Quoting from that book:

>Thankfully there's a helpful tool to fix this. Due to some
>incredible foresight on the part of the designers of NXT-G, not only
>is the language extendable with features such as MyBlocks, but the
>programming environment is as well. One of the tools that has been
>developed and can be installed into NXT-G has the name "Remove Bad
>Wires." ... Remove Bad Wires is an extension of the programming
>environment that just needs to be dropped into an internal folder of
>the applictaion. Once there, it appears in the pull-down Tools menu
>as an item you can select. It will simply go through and delete
>every broken wire in the program, saving you the trouble.
>
>To install:
>
>1. Create a folder or directory called "project" in the MINDSTORMS
>NXT engine folder or directory (if there's not already one there).
>
>2. Drop the addition (called a VI) into it.
>
>3. Restart NXT-G.

The code may be found by going here:
http://forums.nxtasy.org/index.php?showtopic=444&mode=threaded
and downloading the file RemoveBadWires.llb at the bottom of the forum post.

Hope that helps!
Mike