Sender:
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2012 00:06:35 -0400
From:
B Bergenstock <[log in to unmask]>
To: Lori Hand <[log in to unmask]>
We have this problem sometimes in a much larger group I help organize.
A. Make sure that in future years, you state the fee is non-refundable. As
you mentioned, it's much easier to argue this issue if there's a stated
policy on it.
B. If you are under budget restraints, than sometimes what I've done is
tell the person if a replacement can be made (and as coach, you will make
it, not them), they can get their money back. If none is found, they they
do not get it back.  Do you have any kids on the wait list?  If you feel
it's not in the best interest of the group to add a new member at this
time, then let the parents know that the child is allowed to participate in
the group and the choice to attend or not is theirs. (Attach any attendance
policies you've created to this discussion). There's 7 weeks to the first
tournament, and longer depending on where you are or which tournament
you're attending. We've successfully added a member this late in the
season.
    It's never fun to deal with these non-Lego issues, but they do crop up.
Good luck on it,
Brandy