From:
Stephen Scherr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Scherr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2010 22:33:44 -0400
Laura,
  I think your team may be restricting its creativity more than it needs to.  I haven't judged Project as much as other categories, so I can't speak for other judges, but I've seen solutions presented by teams that verged on science fiction.  What is important is how the team treats its idea and what it does with it.

  The project challenge is to identify a problem:  "Think about the things that could go wrong with each [body part, function or system], and ways to protect, repair, or make them stronger. Be creative. Be silly. Be serious."
  Learn about the problem
  Create an innovative solution
  Share it
  Present it

Wiktionary says engineering is "the application of science to the needs of humanity", so most of the solution should conform to the laws of nature, but starting with one improbable or not-yet-possible concept (telekinesis, engineering microorganisms that exactly counter the effects of other microorganisms) is okay.  Yes, its harder to support imaginary concepts with data, but there are ways to base analysis on numbers and techniques that exist in our known world, at least in many cases.  (Postulate the necessary power output needed for telekinesis and analyze the consequences for real objects.  Identify the probability of creating the right microorganism DNA sequence, and postulate a method that lets you get to the right one!)

  The biomedical engineering theme means that the team starts with a human biology problem and engineers a way to protect, repair, or make it stronger.  That could be: develop/imagine a machine or technology to warn hospital staff that they aren't in a sanitary condition.  It could be:  humans on a hundred-year space flight get bored looking out the window and forget to take care of their spaceship.  Develop something that will keep them interested and alert.

On the other hand, if the team has identified a current problem and can implement a solution today, that's superb!  I've seen that happen in FLL, too.

Steve Scherr