From:
Brady Hoak <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brady Hoak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:36:11 -0400
The 'mid 2010 macbook pro' uses a cambridge internal bluetooth chip which is incompatible with the bluetooth on the nxt. (the bluetooth chip changed to one that is compatible around oct 2010 - macs since then work fine).

Hoping an external adapter with the correct chipset could work,  I purchased the lego branded 'abe' blue external bluetooth dongle but can't disable the internal bluetooth to force the use of the external dongle. I am not sure if I need to though or if its automatic. (Firmware on the nxt is current at 1.31.) If I disable bluetooth on the laptop all bluetooth is disabled - external dongle and internal. The laptop does see the dongle and lights on it do come on, so it could be using it. I can briefly create a bluetooth pairing in the mac bluetooth device manager but that also happens when the dongle is removed. The connection seems to get dropped immediately  since it doesn't list it as connected after it says the pairing with the nxt was successful. If you have bluetooth working on this particular macbook pro (mid 2010 with cambridge bluetooth chip), or know how to disable the internal bluetooth on any macbook laptop, or get the lego bluetooth dongle to take precedence on a mac,  please email me and let me know the steps. There is no info in the bluetooth forums on the lego site on this issue, and since its particular to the nxt  and a particular version of macbook its rare so isnt on the net either.

Thanks,
Brady