From:
Lloyd O'Hara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd O'Hara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2013 16:46:02 -0500
Stefani,

That is a hard question and most FLL coaches have faced it at one time or
another.  The unfortunate reality is that these kids have many different
obligations tugging at them and they, and their parents, sometimes do not
view FLL as important as other things.  I've been coaching for a while and
I've seen it in one or more team members every year.  While it is my modest
opinion that these kids cannot do any other activity that will help them, in
the long run, as much as FLL will, my opinion does not matter much when it
comes to the other activities in which they are involved.

Here is how I handle these situations, while I may gripe to my wife, the
kids are always welcome to come participate.  I prefer some participation
over none at all.  I try to keep them involved but at this age. it is is
hard at times.  In the end, they get to go to the tournament and enjoy the
fun and excitement that is FLL.  My hope, which does not always pan out, is
that they will catch the desire to come back and do more the following year.

I guess the one caveat is how you might incorporate them into the various
presentations and at the tables.  If they are not prepared, their involvment
will have to be paired back a bit.  However, at the end of the day, I can
guarantee you they will be as excited as the other team members.  That
excitement may not last past the the next day or two but then again, that
team member may extremely motivated for the following year.

I hope this helps,

Lloyd O'Hara
Coach, The Crestwood Monarchs