From:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:32:49 -0400
At 11:11 AM -0400 8/26/09, Rusty West wrote:
>If some of you who have your table set up could post a short video
>on youtube that might help with some of the new teams.  I just
>checked and there aren't any smart move videos yet.  For some of the
>newer coaches you can see some teams that had perfect table run in
>previous years.  These are very inspiring.
>
>Rusty West

Rusty,

YouTube videos from previous FLL years are excellent for learning and
inspiration--I showed selected ones to our team last fall to get
their creative juices flowing and to get them to think outside the
box instead of defaulting to designs and strategies they'd used
before. I especially like videos that show a team working well
together at the table, with smooth and practiced coordination between
the team members.

But you might not expect to see many YouTube videos of the current
year's challenge until much later in the season. I recall that last
year nearly the videos related to Climate Connections were a few that
showed how to set up the table and those wee videos from FIRST
showing how to earn points for each mission. Not really surprising: I
wouldn't expect too many teams to be eager to share their robot
design and mission strategies before the regional tournament.

And I'm not sure I'd want my team to see current-year videos either.
I'd rather see them brainstorm and come up with ideas on their own.
Kids at this age can be extremely and surprisingly creative. But they
can also very easily be steered and limited if potential solutions
are suggested from the outside. Even those little FIRST videos can
guide their thinking, so I don't even bother to show them those.

Of course at the end of the season it's fun to see how other teams
approached the table missions, so we're all eager to see
perfect-performance videos on YouTube. Guaranteed to elicit cries of,
"hey, that's what we did too!!" and "wow, why didn't we think of
that??" :)

Cheers,
Mike

--